The latest market analysis report titled Gaming Market Analysis by Region, Platform, Gamer Type, and Segment Forecast, 2022-2030 has been added to the report store by GlobalData Plc. The gaming market growth has been mainly driven in the past few years due to the stringent regulations pertaining to staying indoors post-COVID-19. Gaming has emerged as a popular form of entertainment. The gaming market report covers extensive insights into the trends, drivers, and challenges impacting the market. The gaming market analysis also provides revenue opportunities by segments and regional outlook along with the competitive landscape.
View the Report PDF Sample for more market highlights
Gaming Market Dynamics
The gaming market has witnessed market growth during the next few years due to factors including the rising popularity of the metaverse and 5G. Gaming is an ideal starting point for the metaverse. The metaverse involves communities built on engaging content. The same factors are driving video games to become a $450 billion-plus industry by 2030. Epic Games, Roblox, and Niantic are leading metaverse development on the back of their massively popular games and global user communities.
Furthermore, the surging demand for models including Free-to-Play with premium content (Freemium) and Play-to-Earn models are also likely to propel the gaming market demand. However, challenges such as semiconductor shortage, gambling, data privacy issues, and the adverse impact of gaming on minors might hinder the gaming market growth in the upcoming years.
Gain additional insights on the gaming market dynamics in this PDF Sample
Gaming Market Segment Highlights
- Video Games: The video games market segment held the largest gaming market share in 2021. Technological advancements in the field of cloud computing and the increasing adoption of 5G technology are expected to drive the market over the forecast period.
- Cloud Games
- Smartphone: The smartphone platform segment earned the largest gaming market revenue in 2021. The large market share and growth can be attributed to the increasing penetration of smartphones and high-speed internet connections.
- Handheld Controllers
- Head-mounted Displays
By Gamer Type
- Casual Gamer: The casual gamer segment accounted for the largest gaming market share in 2021 and the segment is expected to retain its market dominance during the forecast period. This growth can be attributed to rising disposable incomes and the increasing popularity of esports among the millennials and Gen Z population.
- Avid Gamer
- Lifestyle Gamer
- Asia Pacific: Asia Pacific accounted for the highest gaming market revenue in 2021. Increasing penetration of electronic devices with gaming capabilities and advancements in telecommunication technology is expected to drive the regional gaming market growth during the forecast period.
- North America
- South and Central America
- Middle East and Africa
For more segment-wise insights and regional opportunities, Request for Sample Report
Gaming Market Competitive Landscape
The gaming market is highly fragmented with globally recognized players such as Electronic Arts Inc., Activision Blizzard Inc, and Tencent Holdings Ltd with broad gaming portfolios as well as small and medium-sized players with smaller portfolios. Investors are pouring capital into the development of cloud games to capitalize on their increasing popularity. The market witnessed an increase in deals and partnerships of video game companies over the last two years.
Top Gaming Market Players
- Tencent Holdings Ltd: In March 2022, the company acquired a stake in Spanish video game developer Novarama. In August 2022, the company partnered with Logitech to develop a cloud gaming handheld device to support multiple cloud gaming services.
- Sony Group Corp: In June 2022, Sony launched its PlayStation Plus game subscription in North and South America. The new service will provide access to high-quality games across a diverse portfolio. In February 2022, the company and KDDI Corporation announced successful technological demonstrations for PlayStation game streaming and 8K live streaming with a 5G standalone mobile network.
- Microsoft Corp: In April 2021, the company partnered with Rainway to use its software development kit (SDK) to enhance and streamline Xbox cloud gaming technology. Furthermore, the company partnered with Perforce Software and GitHub to launch new game development initiatives at the Game Developers Conference 2022. The partnership is expected to provide automation and preconfigured virtual machines for game studios.
More Players Covered in this Report are:
- Nintendo Co Ltd
- NetEase Inc
- Sea Ltd
- Activision Blizzard Inc
- Bandai Namco Holdings Inc
- Electronic Arts Inc
- Take-Two Interactive Software Inc
Download a Sample PDF for Vendor-specific Product Offerings and Strategic Initiatives
GlobalData is a leading provider of data, analytics, and insights on the world’s largest industries. As a leading information services company, thousands of clients rely on GlobalData for trusted, timely, and actionable intelligence. Our mission is to help our clientele ranging from professionals within corporations, financial institutions, professional services, and government agencies to decode the future and profit from faster, more informed decisions. Continuously enriching 50+ terabytes of unique data and leveraging the collective expertise of over 2,000 in-house industry analysts, data scientists, and journalists, as well as a global community of industry professionals, we aim to provide decision-makers with timely, actionable insights.
Head of PR EMEA
+44 (0)207 936 6400